Quick Question

I am a translator who has been using XyWrite for almost fifteen years.  Both commercial publishers and university presses are now refusing to accept disks in XyWrite, which is widely believed to be extinct.  An editor at a New York house that insists on Microsoft Word congratulated me on being the last known speaker of XyWrite ("Is your mother tongue Cornish?" he asked)...

I gather however that it is still possible to work in XyWrite and convert to Word format, either by saving files as Word 5.5 or as RTF.  I tried the first method (copying a test file to a disk) but on trying to open the file again in Word was told that the application associated with the selected template could not be started or the application could not use the selected template.

No doubt I have made some very elementary mistake.  Rather than go on making elementary mistakes (something I am good at doing) I thought I would be better off seeking expert advice--hence this query.  Can anyone walk me through the procedure?

With thanks in advance etc

Malcolm DeBevoise