Re: Re[2]: Xy4 Spell-checker (was "Re[2]: A Win95 question")

** Reply to note from "EBERLE, JIM"  Tue, 06 May 97 16:21:29 est

>  stable than any earlier release.>

>   Carl: I'm intrigued by your comparison of Xy 4.017 with earlier
>   versions. I've got 4.016. Should I spend the $30 for an upgrade?
>   What's better about 4.017 other than it is the last of the breed?

There was a *long* list of fixes, publicly available, representing work
performed between v4.011 and v4.017! Everybody who uses Xy4DOS should
upgrade to the final version -- period. It's not worth talking about.
Here's a list, just for v4.016 (various flavors) and v4.017, issued in
1994/5 (there are *many* more fixes than these, some very subtle):

-----------

The following problems were fixed in version 4.016A with EDITOR.EXE
(4/28/94):
*	Fixed problem with column table rows that span across multiple pages.
*	Added a new way to use the DC command. If you include a caret after
the equals sign, you can redefine a counter format without incrementing it.
This is useful when you want to use Roman Numerals as the top level heading
(as in Section III), but want to use arabic numerals for lower level
headings (as in Section 3.1,3.1.1).

The following problems were fixed in version 4.016B with EDITOR.EXE
(5/13/94):
*	Fixed problem with defining and deleting text in Page-Line view.
DESCRIPTION - With DT=2 (page-line view), if you define a 20K block of text
and try to rub it out with SHIFT+F12, the text remains on the screen and it
appears that the system is locked up. Pressing normal function keys does
not respond. If you refresh your screen by toggling CTRL+F8, the block of
text vanishes and you're back in business - BUG12166.
*	Fixed problem of text not printing on the same line it was displayed on
in page-line view. For example, we have a document that on page two the
last line is "The second interpretation claims that judgements of value
as". If I print page two, the line mentioned above is printed on the
second to last line of that page instead of the last line of that page as
it was displayed in page-line view- BUG13366.
*	Fixed problem with deleting a specific index code in expanded view, then
changing into draft view and getting a QEMM exception error. For example,
we have a document that on page two has a line that reads "Two heads..."
which is at the beginning of a line which has some index code. If you
press CTRL+DEL to remove the code up to the word "Gains" and then go into
draft view, you'll get the QEMM exception error. - BUG13433.
*	Fixed problem with entering carriage returns via record keystrokes and
entering carriage returns via scroll lock yielding different results -
BUG13180.
*	Fixed problem with the footnote format numbering style command being
inserted with a numeric convention rather than a mode convention.
DESCRIPTION - When inserting a footnote format from the menus with a
numbering style for the footnote numbers, the SC command was being inserted
with numeric conventions (SC=0 or SC=247) instead of mode conventions
(SC=NM or SC=SU) - BUG13630.
*	Fixed problem with Advanced/Preferences/Defaults/Spelling inserting a
SX02,@IN onto the command line or inserted into your document. DESCRIPTION-
 If you go into Advanced/Preferences/Defaults/Spelling and press OK,
SX02,@IN will get inserted on the command line or will get inserted into
your document if you have a document open - BUG13611.
*	Fixed problem of not being able to create snaking columns or a column
table with default HY=1. DESCRIPTION - When trying to create a snaked
column from the menus with default HY=1, you get the message "Cannot create
columns in a table". If you try to create a column table from the menus,
the sidebar that appears shows Edit instead of Create - BUG13615.
*	Fixed problem with defining text that includes a couple of carriage
returns and the second carriage return not showing as being defined. This
only happened in graphic view - BUG13644.

The following problems were fixed in version 4.016C with EDITOR.EXE
(6/08/94):
*	Fixed problem of printing a page range with a document that includes line
numbers. DESCRIPTION - If you print a page from a document that includes
line numbers, the line numbering will count from the last number at the
bottom of the document. For example, if you have a four page document and
the last line in the document ends with 100 and you just print page two,
the top of page two will start with 101. If you print the whole document
it prints fine - BUG13645.

The following problems were fixed in version 4.016D with EDITOR.EXE
(9/08/94):
*	Fixed problem where loading certain III Plus supported help frames (i.e.,
Type-B and Type-F) showed the smiley faces (ASCII 2) within the window
frame.
*	Fixed problem where loading Type-1 (III Plus supported) help frames
failed to function.
*	Several internal GC (General Counsel) modifications have been added.
These do not affect standard usage of the product.

The following problems were fixed in version 4.016 with EDITOR.EXE
(10/05/94):
*	Fixed problem where hyphenation breakpoints set in the exception diction
would not take effect - TTG BUG13477.
*	Fixed problem where initial-capped words from the personal dictionary
were not provided as alternatives to questioned word - TTG BUG13472.
*	Fixed problem where superscripted (bracket) characters did not display in
graphic view - TTG BUG13502.
*	Fixed problem to provide appropriate amount of decimals during summation-
 TTG BUG13486.
*	Fixed problem where change-case of characters stored to disk did not
write the characters out to disk with the change - TTG BUG13475.
*	Fixed problem where importing a database file haulted the program - TTG
BUG13515.
*	Revised XPL code to check for duplicate style names under the (define
styles) dialog box.
*	Fixed XPL code under the Define styles, use typeface menu option. When
you had a PostScript printer file loaded (which does not use symbol sets),
the style would be created with (SY="blank").
*	Fixed code (erroneous "Putc" command) under Import, Spreadsheet which
caused hard crash.

The following items have been addressed in version 4.017 with EDITOR.EXE
(05/08/95):

*	Fix problem where using the XX (accent) function caused a program
lockup - BUG13529.
*	Added # argument to Counter (Cn) command to suppress counter display.
( will print, but not display.
*	Increased the programs capacity for handling heavily footnoted
documents.
*	Fixed problem where using wildcards in Change (CH,CI,CV) command
produced incorrect results.
*	Fixed problem where the position of the cursor was incorrect when mode
(MDBO, etc.) commands were put into a document, causing subsequent text
to be input in the incorrect mode.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx