Re: NB 8 (Trial version)

** Reply to message from Correo Fenda  on Fri, 14 Apr
2006 00:17:52 +0200

> The Spanish keyboard that NB8 creates automatically from the XyWrite one
> uses "&G,S,1".

Huh? Where is that? They have a tool to *convert* your KBD file?? I just use
my Xy4 KBD file. Works great.

The way you read that assignment is: "&G" means file NBMAIN-G.AUX, in the root
directory of NB (where NB.EXE is). You'll notice the eight *.AUX files: these
constitute NB's library(ies) of programs, and they're loading by NB.INI
(although you can comment them out -- I always have, although now I have them
active just for experimentation -- never saw anything I needed there). Near
the top of NBMAIN-G.AUX, you see the line

>;*;
=="S">;*;Dead accents

So you GoLabel QUOTE. There you find

>;*;
>>;*;
=="S")&(==1>;*;

Notice that each of these RC command grabs *one* of the characters issued by
your keystroke after the &G function is issued. So now you GoLabel Acute.
There you find

>;*;
{contained in}=>0>S1 ;*;

So! In short, all they're doing with this nonsense is issuing the same func S1
that we issued, straight from the KBD, in Xy4. Pathetic.

I'm thinking to identify the few useful routines in all these AUX files,
simplify the XPL, focus especially on the VBX (Visual Basic) routines (which
can't be debugged), and boil all this down to one single, fast AUX file.
Later. Sometime, hopefully, before the Messiah comes.

> By the way: how to input 2-2-4 on the CMline in NB? Very easy in XyWrite
> (Ctrl+Shift+Alt 2-2-4) but not possible in my NB keyboard.

Why not? Works perfectly in my NB keyboard (which = my Xy4 keyboard).

> I am working now with STACK to get it installed...

There's really no work to be done. Just add that one tiny frame from Xy4 DLG
to NB.DLG (which I've mentioned several times), and Stack away! Use XyWrite to
make the edit.

Trust me: try your Xy4 KBD file. Just load it in NB.INI -- put a statement at
the beginning of the [Startup] stanza (and comment out their KBD load
statement, with a semi-colon). Do this **using XyWrite**, with NB *not
running*! NB reacts badly if you open NB.INI while NB is running.

[Startup]
load d:\xy4\MyXy4.kbd={space}{carriage return}

I posted msgs as far back as 2+ years ago about how to create an NBSTART.PM,
which basically performs the function of STARTUP.INT in Xy4. Use that to
initialize Stack. Check XySearch for "NBSTART.PM". In the same [Startup]
stanza, I have a line (after the last run command)

run &root&nbstart.pm={space}{cr}

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx