Re: Windows 10 considerations

> Two things have caught my attention since upgrading to W10 from 8.1:
>
> 1. It is not sufficient to turn off everything there is to turn off
> (auto-updates, Contara etc.). I did that, and the machine still
> contacts the mother ship every time the machine boots. It even ignores
> the hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1 for the Microsoft update server
> and continues to contact that server. Pfui.
> [...]

Flash-- After reading this, I sent a note to my newphew in Ohio. He
was, and maybe still is, the top Microsoft technician in Ohio (some
sort of MS accreditation based on testing, i think). Here's what he
said:

"...for Windows 10, there is Home, Professional and Enterprise. If they have an MSDN license
and are able to download the images from Microsoft, they have a Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB
edition. The LTSB edition provides customers with access to the Long Term Servicing Branch as a
deployment option for their mission critical devices and environments ... ie it will not do ANY
updates and be the same as it was initially installed.

"For the Home edition, there is not a lot you can do, there are a couple of things they can try
from this webpage by marking the connection that you are using as a "Metered" connection
and then Windows 10 will think it is on a cellular or lower connection and will not download as it
thinks it does not have the bandwidth to do so.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

"it is much easier to do if they have the Professional edition and on that same webpage has all
the instructions.

"Let me know if that helps."

  -otis