Disappearing Xywin under OS/2

On Fri, 26 Jul 96 15:40:43 EDT, Allan Needell wrote:

>Here's another nasty problem with xywin under OS/2. Is this one also
>well-known? Has it a fix (other than simply running xywin and all of
>your other windows apps in from the program manager in a single win-OS2
>session?)
>
>If I try to run xywin "seamless" from the OS2 desktop and have occasion
>to close it, it disappears from the windows list, from the minimized
>applications folder, etc. But its still running somewhere. Its icon
>keeps its grey halo, and I can't restart it no way, no how, short of
>rebooting.

Allen,

This was my first disappointment with XyWin under OS/2,
especially since no other windows app I used had this problem.
The following works under Warp Connect and helps get around the
problem when running Xywin in a WIN-OS2 window:

I keep a resized "Minimized Window Viewer" open all the time on
the desktop. I've adjusted the size of the viewer so that it
looks like a taskbar, long and narrow and placed vertically on
the left edge of the desktop. The icons are set to Flowed and
Small Size (see the Settings notebook of the viewer for this).

In the XyWin settings notebook under Window, if you turn on
"minimize window to viewer" you will always have XyWin in the
Minimized Window Viewer when you have minimised it from the
desktop.

If you double click LMB in the min window viewer on any app,
other than XyWin, it will pop open. For XyWin, you need to RMB
click and then select either Restore or Maximize from the list.
This always works for me using Warp Connect on my desktop.
Using Warp (red pack) on my laptop is similar except that only
Maximize will bring back XyWin; Restore will not, and with
Restore the XyWin icon simply disappears. Even so I never have
to re-boot to get XyWin back in operation since the Window Task
List still has "Win-Os2 session - XyWrite" on it. At this
stage, double clicking will not bring it back. But you do not
need to re-boot. To kill XyWin, single click RMB and select
Close.

If you select Maximize instead of Restore you should never be
in a situation where you need to kill XyWin.

Cheers,
John G.

Dr J.L. Gordon
Department of Anthropology