RE: XyDOS Window box colours

Title: RE: XyDOS Window box colours
-----Original Message-----

From:  Michael Norman Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 10:44 AM

>>Michael,
>>The install was hard even when you were installing it on machines running >>DOS 6x back in the early 1990s. As I remember you had to disable all the >>drivers and TSRs before you could do it. My guess is Tech Group used some >>sleazy outfit to make their install disks for them.

>Right, Leslie. I reviewed that post. I wonder what would happen if you >booted in DOS mode (W98) and tried it? At all events, Patricia, a Tiresias >on many such issues, anticipated this problem and has generously shared her >answer.

>Michael Norman

Just for the record...you can actually install Xy4 from its disks
on a Win9x or Win2k/XP machine (well...I'm guessing about XP, as
I've never actually tried). I've done it several times with both Win98,
95, and W2K (my current system). The problem I've run into is that during
the install it detects the CD drive and doesn't like what it sees (or
doesn't see). I can't remember what the error is...but no matter how many
drives/partitions there are, it's always the CD drive it has a problem
with (and after thinking about it again since the subject has come up,
I'm convinced that the problem is machines running a bios that says you
can boot from either the floppy or the CD. Even though Xy4, mostly,
predates CD software installation, the install program is somehow being
affected by the duel message from the bios).

Anyway...the fix is very simple. Put a CD in the CD drive. That's it.

As long as XY4's install program doesn't get an error when it's "forced"
to look at the alternate installation drive (it's getting the same error
you get when you try to access an empty CD drive) it will install just
fine...at least in theory - your mileage may vary.

---------------------------------------

As I write this, a new post from Bob White has appeared concerning XyWin
installation...which I've also been thinking about lately. I recently
acquired the program and tried to install it, but it was designed to be
installed on Win 3.1 and quits when it doesn't find: (a) - the correct
directory structure, and (b) the appropriate runtime files.

Considering the problems that have stopped the install on my machine,
the trick of having a directory named "xwt" seems too easy (unless TTG
built in a "cheat" for problem installs). I'm curious to see if it works,
though.

Bob, does the xwt directory just need to exist...with nothing in it?
Does it need to be just off the root? (C:\xwt) ?

___________________ -Brian Henderson
http://www.XyWrite.com