Re: Faxing from Xy

On 04/07/97 at 03:53 AM,
  Harry Binswanger  said (in so many words):

<- I'm getting the picture that my version (non-Pro 3.0) which came with
<- my purchase of HP Printer Pal is not capable of printing from DOS.
<- Nothing about it in my merely 57 page manual. It says I can print from
<- Windows (which I can), but DOS is never mentioned. I'll check and see
<- if they have a web page, cuz this is pretty clearly not a Xy
<- problem.

Harry,
I think you *may* be having a conceptual problem (or perhaps merely
terminological), but let's get something straight just in case. My
terminology may be OS/2 slanted, but I'm sure that Windows allows
something similar. First off, you should be using LPT3 totally as a
pseduo-port--no actual physical device should be there either modem or
printer. Second, assigned to that port is a printer object (not a real
printer, just something that pretends to be one--Windows may arrange for
this very differently than OS/2). Since DOS knows about ports and not
objects you tell your dos program to print to port 3. This results in a
fax showing up in FaxWorks log; at that point you can have FaxWorks print
it to a real printer, send it as a fax or edit it. Holmgren's messages
seem to contain the name of the device driver you need and it may indeed
be that you have to purchase the Pro version to get it.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

Food without hospitality is medicine