RE: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

So, it seems that there are 3 ideas that we should keep
distinct.

1. Modifying the existing code, such as adding a page-swap of memory.

2. Translating the existing code into a Windows-friendly product. (Porting or something like that.)

3. Ignoring the existing code and writing, from scratch, a new program that will a) give us, the users, the same functionality as XyWrite, or with trivial differences, and b) be able to use, or automatically translate, all the nonASCII codes of XyWrite and run XPL.

I suspect that there would be no issue of property rights involved here, since what we'd be doing is using a different means to accomplishing the same end as XyWrite does. And anyway, no harm, no foul--and who is being harmed by us 36 guys using a new program to do the same things as an old program that has been abandoned for 12 years or more?

Which of these three alternatives is best?

Regards,
Harry

Reply to note from Philip White Tue, 10 Apr 2018
02:44:59 +0000

Hello, Phil, and thanks for joining the discussion.

I would imagine that access to the XyWrite source would have to be
worked out with Nota Bene and/or Dave Erickson, who presumably are the
parties that have the rights. (I have no knowledge on this point,
however.)

Also, while the XyWrite 3 source is in assembler, I believe that
XyWrite 4 -- the version that Harry is looking to modify -- was written
in C++. I don't know if that makes a difference to you.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx