Re: Making mode commands symmetrical (or should I say complementary?)

Wolfie wrote:
Because that would increase the number of required keystrokes. I simply
want to bold a defined string in one go.
Actually, if that's the way you want to use it, you can just put +BO on
ctrl-B. Then if your cursor is within a defined block, it
automatically does what you want. E.g.,
"blah blah [defined block] blah blah"
becomes:
"blah blah [defined block] blah blah"
This raises the issue of how people like to work in their use of MD. I never define first then apply MoDes. I always use a ctrl key assigned to create then I have ctrl-N (for normal) put out . This saves typing even when you are going over already typed-in text to, say, bold something. Say I wanted to bold "raises" in the beginning of this paragraph. I'd move my cursor there, hit ctrl-B (at which point, everything after it, for the moment, goes bold, then move my cursor to just after it and hit ctrl-N.
It seems that if you are going to define a block, you are going to have to
move the cursor to the start and end thereof anyway, so you save a keystroke:

My way:

hit ctrl-B
move to end of text to be bolded
hit ctrl-N

Your way:

hit the key for DeFine (F1 perhaps)
move to the end of the text to be bolded
hit the key for DeFine again
hit ctrl-B
The only "penalty" for my way of doing business is that you temporarily see all the text following the insertion of go bold. But that ends the instant you hit the ctrl-N.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx