Re: Diacritics in XW for E-Mail

Daniel Say  wrote:

> 	But under spelling reform invoked last year
> 	the double-s as you call it is no longer to
> 	be used.

This is not correct. Even according to the new spelling rules, scharfes
s is still to be used, but in fewer instances than before. The actual
rules are quite complex, and you are right that there is a strong
backlash against this half-baked and ill-considered reform. In my
insignificant opinion, chucking out all the diacritics in favor of
double-s and a, o, u + e would have been far preferable. And while we're
at it, let's go for all lowercase as well. But I don't think it will
happen in my lifetime.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx