Re: Apologies for redundant question here: How do I protect against total shutdown? -- I need the backup, restore process, etc.

Hi Jay,

How do I protect against total shutdown where I lost all data and have to re-install all my programs? I think there may be new processes that make it easier than in the past.
You have been given good advice. Carl's suggestion of using restore points is easy and effective in keeping the system up and running in case of an unexpected hiccup. A restore disk should be there, too. But given the complexity of modern computer setups, I think a continuous total backup solution is a must. I use Acronis TrueImage, and it has saved my day quite a few times in the past. If you are willing to take the plunge, you need a big secondary or external hard disk to store your daily backups (while convenient, I would not trust this to cloud only). You need an Acronis boot CD which you make with the software, in case your system becomes unbootable and you need to revert to a previous version. You need to set up an automatic backup schedule to take care of your daily backups. I would recommend making an Acronis secure zone on the backup disk. This gives you more protection against virus attacks and inadvertent deletes. I would also recommend making another total backup on another external media not normally connected to your computer or the cloud. Finally, it is important to spend some time studying the software as using it correctly can make or break your backups. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/