Re: Working fastest in __ mode (was: Large fonts...

Reply to note from Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> Sun,
1 Mar 1998 04:29:27 -0500

-> "Tests that Robert & I performed way back when showed that,
-> other things being equal, XyWin works fastest in graphics mode,
-> whereas Xy4 is at its speediest in eXPanded mode. ..."
->
-> I hesitate to argue with my betters, but I just don't
-> understand this. I've learned to my cost that many operations
-> -- whether in XyWin or in Xy4DOS -- are radically slower in
-> anything but expanded mode.

Betters? I'm not a betting man, Eric.

I probably overgeneralized. If I recall correctly, screen-intensive
operations in XyWin (e.g., DeFine/UnDeFine) were much faster in
graphics mode. Computational tasks, or hybrids such as SEarch-and-
replace, which involves both computation and redrawing the screen,
may well be faster in eXPanded view. I haven't looked at this in
years and hardly ever use XyWin, so you would know better than I.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/