Re: Xywrite

M Albert

>was pleased to hear that Xywrite is still around. Is the
>Dos version still available? (I have Xywrite III.)

Yes, the DOS version is up to 4, is still available, and in the opinion of
most people (but not all) is superior to version 3.

>Where does one get it, if so?

A company called The Technology Group (see below).

>I also heard that there is a Windows version. Same question.

Yes, there's XyWrite for Windows. Windows 3.1, that is, meaning that you
can use it with just about any version of Windows. (I say "just about" as
I know nothing of CE.) This is Xy 4 with a Windows look'n'feel but also
DOS, er, functionality. You still have a command line, etc. It's
universally acknowledged to be buggier than Xy4DOS; the disagreement is
over whether its bugginess is tolerable. I for one use it virtually all
the time. Again, it comes from The Technology Group.

>Do you have a website or other usable address?

No. Yes. It depends what you mean. This mailing list doesn't have one
(as far as I remember). The Technology Group has a website. A pretty
uninformative one, alas--which is why I don't remember the URL. (This
mailing list is entirely independent of The Technology Group, although two
or more people from TTG participate.) There's a highly informative and
useful site, XyWWWeb http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/, which you should
certainly visit (and which I think has a link to TTG's site). You'll find
XyWWWeb very version-four-centric. For a robustly version-three-centric
site (i.e. one that is more likely to be of immediate use to you), see the
informative and idiosyncratic http://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/_xypro.html.

+++++++