XYWRITE PORTABLE and CDD

I'm writing in reference to Carl's recent (last October, here:
http://xywrite.org/msg00023.htm) Xywrite Portable installation.
I'm about to travel and will load it onto a memory stick, and I'm running into
trouble trying to make the CDD section in its xywwweb.reg file portable. If a
listing in the CDD section is hard coded to my own set up, say, like this:

[CDD]
DOCS=C:\XYWRITE\DOCS
. . . etc

it would not be portable unless the computer I'm working on had the same drive
letter for the DOCS directory, would it? When I try

DOCS=≪VA$DR≫\DOCS

which I thought would point to editor's directory, I get the error message,
"Bad dir c:\xywrite\editor.exe." No luck either with
DOCS=≪PV01≫\DOCS

which, from startup.int, holds the current directory of editor, or so I
thought. Clearly my primitive understanding of how things work is not up to task.
Wondering if any of you have suggestions. Carl, you'd solve this in a trice, if
you're willing . . .

FW.