Memory problems with XyDOS (4) under Win98?

I'm about to acquire a PC with P-III chip and 64meg RAM, with Win98
pre-installed. I'd like to be able to live with Win98, for the sake of
simplicity and printer compatibility, as I have lived for 5 years plus with
Win 3.x for the same reasons.

But for serious editing work (on files up to 1meg or so in size) I still
use XyDOS, and I'd like to go on doing so. I don't know yet if it's
possible in Win98 (as it is in Win3.x) to abandon Windows altogether and
run XyDOS from (as it were) within the underlying DOS; or will I have to
open a DOS window within Win98?

But here's my question. In DOS 3.x, with large files (including a lot of
italics, redlining etc.) I was getting frequent crashes until I followed my
then-guru's advice and installed a memory manager -- Qualitas's 386Max.
I've lived happily ever after, until now. My guru is on the wrong side of
the Atlantic, so you guys have to be my guroi (?): how should I run XyDOS
to get the best out of my new PC?

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel