Re: Re Xy on VISTA--sleep mode

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> I don't understand how one could have problems,
> given that real DOS is used
> in Win98. If DOS is DOS, and Xy is Xy, how could the
> hardware make a
> difference? Or was there a difference with DOS
> programs other than Xy, too?

Keyboard Scan Codes: those of laptop keyboards have
*never* had anything like full congruence with their
desktop brethren. Not as many keys, for starters.
Remember the doubled-up Numpad keys, FN (function)
key, and so on ? I think they are less standardized
also, with brand / model / BIOS variations. So, using
a full-size external (desktop) keyboard should make
_some_ difference, perhaps a lot.

Whenever I knew I had to make use of a particular
laptop for any extended period (which has been a rare
occurrence), if I wanted to use Xy without going
crazy, the first thing I had to do was use a scancode
utility to map out exactly how that laptop "saw" its
keyboard. It was a sure thing that several of my
longstanding Xy keyboard macros were going to require
a temporary reassignment.

 Jordan