PS/2 keyboards and modern computers

Dorothy Parker is said to have answered the phone with 'What fresh Hell
is this?' and I have a similar feeling as I struggle with my lovely IBM M
keyboard kindly supplied by Paul. I had naively thought all I needed to
make it work was a PS/2 to USB connector. Now, having tried that out, I
understand that I actually need an intelligent PS/2 to USB converter.
Some additional intelligence is needed, that the converter supplies.
Can anyone recommend a reliable product? A product made by Startech seems
to be widely used, though it is not straightforward to distinguish
between a model that just does a straightforward connect and one that has
the additional intelligence required to make it work with contemporary
USB.