Re: Way Off Topic--Education

>gazing raptly upward at ye mighty

I'm shattered; I thought all law professors had
the irony gene highly developed

> Olympian concerns

Nearly all editors are rather arrogant; it is something
one gets used to. I see no harm in it; we would not have
even the rather low standards we enjoy today were it not
for the unselfish behavior of this breed. I say unselfish
because editors are almost universally underpaid; and all
are intelligent enough to become, if they wanted to, say,
for example, lawyers. If you really consider the matter,
you would have to admit that nobody is likely to set himself
up as an arbiter of language if he is not, constitutionally,
something of a tastemaker or, as you may prefer to put it,
a snob.