Re: XY and on-line sessions

>** Reply to note from "Alarik W. Skarstrom"  03/21/96
>12:59am -0500

 Robert has some good stuff here, but one comment:

>have an OS pre-installed. You're going to need gobs of memory, and it
>costs money, you have to accept that; don't even think about it until you
>get the bucks together. You don't want 8Meg; you want 16, or preferably
>32Meg. If you're going to assemble a system -- deluxe or budget -- you

  This I have to disagree with -- sure, 16meg is great (and 32 is probably
even better, I don't know), but I was very, very happy running OS/2 on
8megs. it runs faster on 16, but so what? Both Linux and OS/2 do very well
on 8 megs, and they both will run and be quite useful on 4 megs. Speed --
essentially, for XY users, just the speed of switching windows since XY goes
about as fast as it can either way -- is just that sort of hot-rodder
mindset that we all get into. I'm running a 5x86-100 which I overclock to
120 just for the heck of doing it. Does it make me more productive -- not
much, if any -- but I'm almost compulsed to do it. If I had the spare change
for another 16meg I'd do it, probably. Just to see how much faster it would
go, most of which I can only tell with a performance monitor anyway at this
point. Actually I had the cash for the memory but fell into a chance to buy
a whole print shop sitting in a guy's garage (5 older offset presses,
pre-press, folder, collator, and a small letterpress) -- more toys.
 But anyway, I'd rather have a 386sx-16 with 8meg running Warp or Linux
than a 486 w/16meg running windoz -- a lot also depends upon optimizing the
setup for yours system also, and you have that customizability in OS/2 to do
that that you don't have in lesser systems.

(rest of good stuff deleted)

--
Harmon Seaver
hseaver@xxxxxxxx

"Some mon just deal wit' information. An' some mon, him deal wit' the
concept of truth. An' den some mon deal wit' magic. Information flow aroun'
ya, an' truth flow right at ya. But magic, it flow t'rougn ya."
     -- Nernelly, A Jamaican "Bush Doctor," 1982

Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this post is
available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent.