Re: Taming XP

At 07:26 AM 3/17/2006, MGochnauer wrote:
What benefits do you get from using TAME with Xy on WinXP?
I don't have XP on a computer at the moment (although I own it), but it seemed to me had when Win2K got to service pack 4, I couldn't see any difference in screen performance when Tame was active. Is XP in need of "help"?
I've never used Win2k, Myron, so I really can't say. Others here, as
I read the posts, agree with you. I simply inherited a desktop, and
purchased a laptop, and both came with XP. At the time, I was not
inclined to purchase Win2K; I did my daily work on a W98SE machine
where XY lived happily; on the laptop, where XY and TAME 4.5 worked
haltingly, I just used NB. A few weeks ago, when it was clear I had
to finally switch desktops, I took my son's abandoned XP desktop,
reinstalled the OPsys that came with it, and slowly tried to rebuild
the disk. The first program I worked on was, of course, XY. I really
wanted to finish my current manuscript in XY. After two days of trial
and error with TAME 5.0, I got it to work, bumbling into the
solutions, mostly. Then I bought a new monitor and had to update the
video card driver and TAME went on the fritz again. So I uninstalled,
reinstalled, etc, finally wiping the registry of TAME entries and
getting it to work again. So that version of TAME, in effect, was
pretty well field-tested at that point.
Yes, XY, IMHO, needs TAME to work in XP, though, again, I think
others here have been satisfied with just XP-SP2. So "advantages" are
tough to argue. All I can report is this: When you get the TAME 5.0
console to work in XP, you can run XY in almost any font on your
system, in any color, at any cursor repeat rate, in and size box,
including full screen. Lots of bells and whistles. Most important,
you can just do your work.

Michael Norman