Footnotes

To Martin J. Osborne:

-> I have an XPL program in version III that I use very
-> frequently that, among other things, translates every
-> ≪FN1Footnote text.≫ into \footnote{Footnote text.}. ...
-> So I'm sticking with version III at the moment. Does anyone
-> have any suggestions as to a workable workaround?

SmartSet [SMART251.ZIP], my package of XPL programs for Xy4 and
XyWin, includes a routine called DUMPFN which lists the text of
all footnotes in a document. It can handle multiple sets of
footnotes (