Re: OT: Ultraportables--recommendation sought

Wolfgang Bechstein wrote:
This just goes to show that sweeping statements like "the faster the
processor (or the more RAM) the quicker the boot" aren't worth the
electrons they're written on. A _lot_ of factors enter into the picture,
many of them hard to pin down,
Definitely. Manufacturers do very interesting things sometimes. I have
an antique Thinkpad: Pentium 1, 160 MHz (IIRC; it's over at the
office), 76 Mb of RAM. It runs Win98 SE, with SPs; on two 256-Mb
desktops, that same opsys takes almost as long to boot as the laptop
does. And the Thinkpad has lots of a special hardware drivers, not to
mention having a boot menu (because I partitioned using Partition
Magic or System Commander, which put one in).
"Worth the electrons theyre written on" --very good. Unlike the
(otherwise very articulate) lawyer who recently asked,
anachronistically, "But who put pen to paper?" (she was trying to find
out which of four possible council members had actually drafted a
resolution).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx