Re: XyWin vs. NBWin (formerly "Dodging...")

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 09:07:28AM -0500, Timothy Olson wrote:
> Leslie Bialler wrote:
> >Dorothy, et al.: I recently met with Anne Putnam and some members of her staff.
> >They are, she assures me, working on the RTF filter. She says it is not as easy
> >to do as she had hoped. But she knows people want it.
>
> This reinforces one of the major themes from this thread: NBWin is ACTIVELY being developed. They LISTEN to their users. XyWin/SmartWords is (or rather, WAS) actively being . . . uh, promised.
>
> As the earlier part of the thread mentioned, TTG simply says certain things can't be done to XyWin (things that have subsequently been done by the folks at NB); as was already stated, the reality is that TTG has no interest in doing them.
>
> I for one prefer software whose developers are interested in making it better, being responsive to users, fixing things that don't work right, etc. Of course, one's choice of software is ultimately dependent on how well it meets one's needs and ways of working. For some, that's still XyWin. For others, NBWin.

While i know that it stands a snowballs chance, i wish that TTG, since they
seem to have no interest in the wordprocessor market, open up the source to
Xywrite so that the people who are interested in it, could at least have an
opportunity to fix some things. (I know that they are using parts of it for
their Smartwords, but it seems they could open some of it up ala Apple and
Darwin.)

Like i said, fat chance...

Russ