Re: XySearch -- Status Report

Reply to note from "Robert Holmgren"  Sat, 14
Dec 2002 14:23:03 -0800

> So they subscribed to the Times but not Compuserve? I thought
> you were supposed to "get it all" for your $75,000/year!

Well, of course, the original emphasis was on print sources (law
books, newspapers). What else was there in the '70s, when Lexis
began? Today, the list of publications, e.g., in the Computing and
Technology section, includes many on-line services. But, no,
CompuServe isn't there. Then again, you don't see any BBS's in the
list. Not really Lexis's bag.

Hard to believe, but next year it'll be 30 years since Lexis put
Dayton, Ohio, on the map, digitally speaking. The first terminals
were humongous things, the size of a washing machine -- talk about
network appliances! Back then, it was a novelty -- and cost a lot
more than $75,000/year if you used it all the time (of course, no
one did). Now, the revolution is complete. With Web access and a
PC on every desktop, there's hardly ever a soul in our law library.
It's so quiet there, you can actually get some reading done.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx