Re: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting

Michael,

There must be some non-kludgey way of doing this, but the following works:

for style A:
go to expanded mode, go to the top of the file, do this command (assuming you are using FN1)

ci /fn1/fn1. /
Then for style B, you need to do a similar change invisible to put in ≪PN≫ at the right place. Maybe you don't need to suppress the regular footnote numbers: can you get away with:

1. [p. 170] blah blah ........
2. [p. 172] blah blah.......
That you can do by an appropriate CI command. If you have to suppress the counters (1, 2, . . . ) at the line beginning, I can again think of a kludgey way to do it, by defining a Counter String in settings.dfl that has the null ascii 255 as the string:
CS:1
[255]
I'm not sure how to make the footnotes call that counter string (the "1" is to indicate it has only one element following it--in this case the ascii 255). But if you look around in the Command Ref. Guide, circa 4-44, you should be able to figure it out. It claims on p. 4-45 that you can suppress footnote numbers, but I haven't gotten it to work here.

And of course, the XP TF ci /.../.../ could all be put in a short XPL macro.

--Harry
I need some hand-holding formatting footnotes\endnotes. I want to try two styles.
________________________________
STYLE A:
1. My current FM command is:

This gives me:
1Tsunoda, Issai Yume etc, 237, 238 (and when it wraps it creates a hanging indent of three spaces.)

What I want is:

1. Tsunoda, Issai Yume etc, 237, 238 (etc).
I can't figure out how to a) create a space (or two) between the printed footnote number and the beginning of the footnote; and b) how to get a period after each number. (Yes, you can do that manually each time you create the note, but there's got to be a way to do it inside FM or with another formatting commands.)
___________________________________
STYLE B:
A number of commercial publishers are pushing for endnotes that are keyed to page numbers. If the above were on page 179, it would look like this:
179 Homma reads the Sutras in his cell [text in bold]: Tsunoda, Issai Yume
etc, 237, 238.
The trick here would be a command[s] embedded in FM that gets the current
page number and inserts it in the footnote. That would really be handy,
since the page numbers will likely change with each edit of the manuscript.
Meanwhile, thanks for all the help in the last year and best wishes for
the new one.

Michael Norman

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx