Re: XyWrite & Windows 2000

** Reply to note from "Martin J. Osborne"
on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:10:04 -0400

> I am able to call files from non-default directories---
> ca \\\
> works, so maybe I can put up with the inconvenience of not being able to execute
> dir \\...

What version of XyWrite are you using? v4.018? What make and model
machine? How slow is "slow", and are you talking slow at typing, or
at execution, or what? If you type as fast as you can, does Xy lag
behind? What's the buffer size of the Window (Properties==>Layout,
if I recall correctly)? If you open an empty DOS box window and type
at the C:\> prompt, is that also "slow"? Do you have other DOS apps
you can test for speed in a DOS window? Can you do a DIR when you
shell to DOS *from XyWrite*? Are you sharing your keyboard off one
PS/2 port with a mouse (on a Y-connector cable, a splitter, maybe? --
try reversing the connections, also unplugging and replugging the
keyboard). Have you upgraded W2K to Service Pack 3 yet? Is printing
fast? (Your spooler could be acting up -- I've seen on XP where the
spooler keeps trying to print, but there's no printer attached, and
that slows the whole machine down to a crawl). Is some app hogging
the CPU -- look at Task Manager's Processes list to see what's
active, and what % of the CPU they're using.

It sounds very odd. Do you hear a clicking noise from your drive?
Has the machiune been stable, or crashing occasionally? Does Xy
crash occasoinally? It could be a thousand things, hard or osft...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx