Re: Xpl accident

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Sat, 01
Apr 2006 15:57:19 -0500

It's a freak accident. What are your KBD assignments? To generate real
guillemets, KBD should be assigned 3-byte guillemets;

When you're done -- Important! -- *verify* that the results are the correct
characters by putting your cursor on top of them individually and commanding
 V3
Thanks. That was very helpful in understanding the general principles.
And eventually led to the solution. My keyboard assignments in this case
were the original, out-of-the-box ones, and I verified them with V3:
Ctrl< and Ctrl > are the 3byters. But Ctrl-Alt-Shift < and
Ctrl-alt-Shift> read thus in the .kbd file:
51=R1,R7,R4
52=R1,R7,R5
So I typed them in in an untitled file; the results LOOKED just like guillements, but when I ran V3 on them, it reported:
[255+65+69] = 255AE character number 174/AEh
[255+65+70] = 255AF character number 175/AFh
Obviously, I must have hit ctrl-alt-shift instead of just ctrl. (don't ask me WHY!) Now if I can just remember to test my guillemets with V3 (much quicker than XPLNcoding to find out what's fishy). Thanks once again.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx