Re: preventing lines from printing with substitution tables

You mean it still prints?

Even so, there's a simple solution: use TYS to display it as it would
print, then TY that onscreen file (which doesn't have the hidden lines).

Be sure to enclose the CR-LFs within the ≪IV...≫ if you don't want the
blank lines to show.

I've never seen ≪iv≫ as a documented xy3 command, but I tried it. The line disappears from the screen (visible only in expanded mode), which unfortunately doesn't serve my purpose. But thanks. From: Harry Binswanger To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:24 PM Subject: Re: preventing lines from printing with substitution tables John, ≪IV...≫ doesn't work? Carl was negating only ≪NT...≫ for Xy3. >Harry wouldn't know I'm xy3, but thanks all, I think I must have >mis-remembered. There's no apparent way in xy3, either through >substitution tables or in-page coding, to prevent lines from >printing. All I probably did was turn off null code printing and used >those codes to mark searchable portions of the text-- not exactly a high >achievement(!) > > > >From: Carl Distefano mailto:cld@xxxxxxxxcld@xxxxxxxx> >To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxywrite@xxxxxxxx >Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:20 PM >Subject: Re: preventing lines from printing with substitution tables > >Harry, > > > > If you wrap the line in ≪NT...≫ or ≪IV...≫ it won't print. The > > difference is that with NT you see a delta onscreen, with IV > > (InVisible) you don't. > > >NT is Xy4 only. > >-- >Carl Distefano >mailto:cld@xxxxxxxxcld@xxxxxxxx > > > >