Re: Virus?

Receipt of identical emails from different people, especially when they
are not on the same mailing list, is pretty strong evidence of malware
activity.

Reformatting the HD and reinstalling the OS may be more drastic than
absolutely necessary. A worm can sometimes be excised without deleting
the entire OS, if it can be identified.

Reformatting the HD and reinstalling the OS is certainly the most
thorough method of eliminating malware, and can be reduced to a few
clicks with appropriate image software (assuming you have made an image
of the state of the machine before the malware arrived).

As we've mentioned before at this forum, it is important to monitor what
your machine is sending to the network, and suspicious activity should
be investigated. TCP-View is a good tool for this (there was a previous
forum thread on this topic).

Good luck, Avrom. I hope you are back online again soon.