Re: NBWin comments

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:27:23 -0500

> inadequate documentation, as some others have commented. Most striking is
> the total silence on programming (the word's not even in the index), although
> if you open up the NB.KEY file, you can see how to turn programming on and
> off. How you run your program, however, is a complete mystery; simply saving
> it as a *.pgm file and typing "run xyz.pgm" in the command line doesn't seem
> to work.

I posted a comment on this issue in the NB maillist two days ago:

-----------------------------

Subject: Re: Programming Mode

** Reply to note from notabene@xxxxxxxx Sun, 14 Nov 1999 08:35:20 -0600 (CST)

> Has anyone made the programming mode in NB Win work?

Sure, although not using func TS like you're trying to do. Func TS
always struck me as too hot to handle. What I'd do is find out whether
func RK RecordKeystrokes is assigned in your NB keyboard (I use my
Xy4-DOS keyboard, so don't know); if it isn't there, add it somewhere.
It's a toggle func, on/off. The first time you hit it, it starts
recording your keystrokes; the second time it stops recording. (You can
take a quick look at the contents -- the first 80 bytes anyway -- to make
sure you were successful, by polling (on the command line) an internal
(and unfortunately inaccessible) Save/Get called , thus:

va/nv @*11

To get your keystroke macro into useful form, command:

LDRK x
 where "x" is an ordinary Save/Get 0-9, A-Z, or a special programming S/G
&0-&9, &A-&Z. If you use an ordinary S/G, and they're assigned in your
KBD file -- again, I don't know, assignments should look like @A, @B,
etc. -- then you just hit that keystroke to run the macro. This is the
easiest way to use "programming mode" (TS was an old Xy3+ concept,
superseded about 10-12 years ago).

P.S. Probably you know all the above already, but... FWIW. You can also
use command SAVERK, to get your macro into a file, which might be handier
in some circumstances, e.g. for later modification, or just to be able to
RUN a program file. All this stuff works in NB; I tested it.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx