Re: Strange files...

Reply to note from "Robert Holmgren"  Fri, 6 Jan
2006 21:44:35 -0500

> So I have two lines near the top of INT that read as follows:
>
> BX d dr=d:\XY4\BTFONTS\Q2 ;*;
> BX dos/nv/x/z /c kmd.exe /c del /Q d:\XY4\BTFONTS\*.TMPQ2 ;*;
>
> The /Q[uiet] switch instructs the command processor to skip any
> confirmation query. And that's the end of that.

A couple of variations on this theme:

1) It's not absolutely necessary to shell to KMD.EXE (or CMD.EXE) to
delete these files. If the rationale for using KMD is access to the
/Q switch, note that the DEL command built into later versions of
COMMAND.COM has the /Q option. But, more to the point, the DELete
confirmation query is only triggered by a request to delete all files
in a directory (DEL *.*); a less-than-global wildcard spec doesn't
elicit confirmation. Bottom line is, you can do a plain-vanilla shell
to COMMAND.COM to delete these TMP files:

> BX dos/nv/x/z /c del d:\XY4\BTFONTS\*.TMPQ2 ;*;

The advantage, of course, is that anyone can do it, not just Windows
users.

2) If you rely on XyWrite's Autosave feature you should be aware that
the above command also deletes all Autosave backup files in the
directory! (Autosave files have the .TMP extension.) If you want
access to these backups across XyWrite sessions (as well you might),
you should do one of two things. You can redirect Autosave files to a
different directory by changing default AOP, usually located in
SETTINGS.DFL. Alternatively, in STARTUP.INT, you can give the
Autosave files a different extension (REName them) before deleting the
.TMP files:

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx