Re: page numbering

On 09/10/96 at 01:09 PM,
  JLOUD@xxxxxxxx said (in so many words):

<- I'm trying to make it so that the page number appears on the bottom <-
center of the start of the chapter but then at top right on all pages <-
subsequent. Nothing I do seems to work in the headers and footers. Any <-
suggestions?

<- Also I want the front matter to be Roman numerals instead of Arabic, but
<- not the table of contents, or abstract, or the dedication page. When I
<- try suppressing the page number on later pages it still prints. When I
<- start the page number printing on the page I want it to start, it <-
doesn't start until the subsequent page! Help!

If I remember correctly a RH command takes effect on its page only if it
precedes any text on that page, including carriage returns. An RH later on
a page takes effect on the next page. Running Footers (RF) commands take
effect on the page they're on. And remember you have to turn them off by
issuing a blank one.

≪RHA≫≪RFA≪LJ1≫≪pn≫≫
text
≪RHA≪LJ2≫≪PN≫≫
text
newpage
≪RFA≫

The numbering sequence and style is handled with the SP command. ≪SPi≫
will start the Roman at i. *Printing out* the page numbers is a separate
matter handled as above.

--
                     Regards,
                     David