Re: "Kerning?"

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:27:32 -0500 (EST), ... wrote:

>Use a PostScript interpreter (software if you don't have a PS printer),
>driver, add an ashow procedure (modifies the distance between characters
>horizontally or vertically) to fb<, and define the proc as an attribute
>to make it easy to turn on and off. The driver would cause the string
>to look like this to the interpreter:
>	n1 n2 (Jack Paar) ashow
>where n1 is the x offset and n2 is the y offset.

Ok, I need a *little* bit more on this -- I take it this ashow
procedure goes somewhere in the ps printer driver I load in Xy? I
will admit in all candor that that prn file stuff scares me.

To RH: I have been messing with the PS stuff lately -- there is a
quite decent set of Ghostscript utilities on both Hobbes and Leo
(somehow I generally prefer Leo). You can either set up GS to accept
input via LPT2, or print to a file and open it through the GS viewer
-- not the fastest thing in the world, and it isn't easy on my VGA
card, but it works. I'm sending you under separate cover a nice
quick little setup guide I found someplace.