RE: Xy4 Setup

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 00:08:12 +0900 (JST), Yo Intl. wrote:

>I think XY4 feels "notchy" and a little rough, compared to XY3. I know
>about the added features, but what good are they if you don't feel
>comfortable with your software?

Well to extend your simile, what Xy4-out-of-the-box needs is sanding
and polishing. It can be made to look & behave (& function, vid. AR)
like Xy3 in practically all respects; even things like window borders
(the look of these alone were enough to make me seriously consider
chucking it) can be changed with minimal trial and error. It's just
doing so can seem like a pita after having used the other for going on
ten years (things like settings.dfl which strikes one as monstruous at
first, actually turn out to be pretty tame), and the manuals are just
short of what they should be: things are in notes which should be in
the bodies of references or listed as parameters at the top, and the
index is not very good.  But the "if for no other reason than..."
reasons probably number a dozen, starting off (for me) with memory
management. For me the ONLY real drawback -- and it's really awfully
trivial -- is the silly EOF mark, which as we all know is the earmark
of the odious Blue Satan itself.

Rafe T.
raphaelt@xxxxxxxx
http://www.ray-field.com