Re: Lexmark printers

Michael Norman wrote:
and no doubt our printer expert, Patricia, will weigh in.
Thanks. I shouldn't call myself an expert, but I do seem to do more
printing than some others here.

Jordan wrote
Hopefully the Lexmark you ordered is still a real
printer, as opposed to a Win-printer.

Yes, the E250D comes with 32 mb memory.
The fad for Winprinters seems, thank heavens, to have passed. (Also
that for Winmodems, partly because the ISPs wouldn't let you use them,
partly because it's assumed--erroneously--that EVERYBODY has broadband.)
I would use one of the LJ4 drivers, trying each out to see which works
best. I have used them successfully with various models of Deskjets
(850, 842, 5650). Does anyone remember if Xyquest or TTG ever did get
out an LJ5 driver? I seem to recall that they promised one, but not
whether it ever materialized.
The chief difference you will find is in which fonts are supported. I
have--somewhere--a test file, that one can print, to see which you get
UFíng each. (Of course, one needs a sharp enough eye for font
characteristics to be able to tell one font from another, despite what
the text is telling you it is.)
Found the files, and will send them to Michael, XPLencoded, off list,
as they're rather large. Anyone else wants them, let me know.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx