Re: XyWrite and OS/2

Harmon Seaver wrote:

:   I can show you reviews in Byte and PC Mag :  from back in
'86-'87 which call it the hardest :   word processor to learn on
the market at that time.

Compared to what? WordStar? WordPerfect? Puh-leeze. Critics who
gave xyWrite that phony rep wrote it with xyWrite; saying that
made them feel superior.
If, the first time that appeared in print, Xyquest had
commissioned someone with a feel for it to remap the default
keyboard, the whole issue would have gone away. First xyWrite
file of any kind I ever wrote was a remapped keyboard. First
xyWrite file I edited was that .kbd file--to reconfigure the
interface.

:   Took me a full week of doing nothing :  else to learn the
basics, really.

Must have been spooked by reading too many computer mags. I've
seen temps put in front of xyWrite 3, given the basic commands
Doug mentioned, no manual for reference--nothing--and told we're
on deadline here, go. They produced. I know writers who use
xyWrite year after year, uninterested in knowing more than those
commands. They think being a power user means getting a lot
written (and with the least thought possible about computers).
And they love xyWrite. One ex-journalist I know churns out book
after book with xyWrite 3 without knowing how to block text.

:   But I'm a slow learner. 8-)

Yeah, I noticed. B-)  --annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc