Re: XyWrite DOSBox MAC

Harry -

I don't know about the dos shell will need to experiment

My system is a PowerBook G4 800MHz with 1 GB RAM - running OS X 10.3.5 "Panther" -

As for the files and method I used to get XY up and running via DOSBox - besides the needed editor.exe on your HD.

go to http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download and download DOSBox for MAC OS X and Radnor frontend GUI

Here's what I did;

1) I downloaded (to my desktop) the above mentioned two files
2) I created a folder on my desktop - entitled "DOSBox" - (original - I know)
3) I unzipped the two downloads placed them in my "DOSBox" folder and then drag dropped that folder to my HD.
4) Next I opened the "DOSBox" folder - opened the "Radnor" folder then double clicked on the sinister looking little Radnor guy Icon -
the GUI program was up and running.

>From the Radnor pgm

1) chose "fullscreen" or "windowed" under "run mode" (I first tried windowed for my test drive - now I am using Fullscreen)

2) make a choice of the exe dos file that you wish to run from your HD via "select" - (for our purpose chose wherever you have your editor.exe file saved on the HD.)

Once selected the actual file location will appear in the "Load:" area - for example mine comes up as "/volumes/files/xy3/editor.exe"

3) now simply click "run" and you should see your familar Xy screen boot up ready for your commands

It will allow you to make a permanent list of exe files as presets by hitting the "+" sign while a file name is listed in the "load" window- It places the location in a "presets" area acting like a program directory therefore you only need "select" a program once - of course you also have the choice of removing any pgm from the list too via the task bar menu.

As for the location of DOS exe files - my Xy files are in a folder on my Mac HD labeled Xy3. No need for separate partition or a virtual HD or any such mess.

Hope this helps
Joseph