special characters (OT)

Since many of us are OS/2 users, I thought I'd mention this useful line
for config.sys:
 DEVINFO=KBD,UX,C:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP

The "UX" replaces "US". This gives you a keyboard just like the usual
one, EXCEPT for the clever addition of dead keys for "foreign" letters.
The right-ALT key becomes a special shifter- RALT-; becomes a
dead-umlaut, RALT-' is dead-aigu, ~ is, obviously, dead-tilde, ` is
dead-grave, ^ is dead-circumflex, and RALT-, is dead-çedilla.
 Unfortunately(?) it doesn't carry down to XyDOS. (Hmm, it does carry
down to Dos windows, so maybe if I fiddle with the names/NI aspects of my
kbd file....)

By the way. When I correspond by email with people using competent
mailers (ones that construct the correct header info) the Euro letters
survive quite well. (I exclude from this people who send me HTML encoded
stuff, which I delete without reading.)

--
                     Regards,
                     David

I would eat my own father with such a sauce.
	--Grimod de la Reyni?re
"What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors?"
            -Rev. Sydney Smith, letter to young lady, 22 July 1835

David Auerbach              David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103