Re: USB gizmos

Per Judith D.'s suggestion below, I tried the dosprint.com program which
can definitely print properly prepared files to a USB printer from DOS. It
requires what used to be a .prn file to operate on, with escape codes in it
to control the printer. I tried using the TYpeFile (tyf) command in Xy, but
so far no luck. It keeps translating the Xy file into PCL, as if it were
going to an HP printer.

I changed settings.dfl to list as my first printer:
LPT1C:\XY\EPS3.PRNEpson printer

But TYF still puts out the PCL version. I.e., the file it produces begins with:
%-12345X@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL

I searched the eps3.prn printer file for 600 and for PCL and it isn't in
there. So something is wrong in my settings.dfl file I assume. The relevant
lines are:

;
PP:3
LPT1  c:\XY\EPS3.PRN Epson LQ-1000
LPT4  c:\XY\HP4-PLUS.PRN HP on Jean's computer
LPT1  C:\XY\POST47.PRN Postscript

Any ideas? (I've re-loaded this settings.dfl several times, even
re-launched Xy with it being called but no luck.)

--Harry

I think that if I can get Xy to put out the right escape codes with TYF the
whole thing will work beautifully and can be entirely automated onto one
keystroke.

However, here are some sites I haven't found time to investigate. If anyone has any luck with any of these, I'd love to know about it. http://www.geocities.com/DOSPrint/ http://www.dosprint.com/products.htm http://www.dosprint.com/ http://www.lerup.com/ (Thanks to Daniel Say for finding this one)
Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx