Re: Problems with XyShell (and more)

** Reply to message from fenda@xxxxxxxx on Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:23:34 +0200

> The current downloadable Xywbrxrt.zip is 2.075 KB. An older version I
> have was 5.006 KB (and it has been working for years).

I just refreshed all the *runtime* versions of scripts in NEWSHELL.ZIP so that
they accord with (run with) the latest version the IBM ObjectRexx for Windows
runtime. Sorry! Dumb dumb dumb of me not to do this earlier...

I updated the ORexx runtime because a new version (with fixes) was released by
IBM, and also because I discovered an installation method that cut the size and
complexity of the installation down from 5Mb to 2Mb. HOWEVER, there is a !bug!
in this version of the ORexx installer, which obliges you to install this new
version as follows (follow these instructions carefully):

UnZIP XYWBRXRT.ZIP in a temporary directory. You must allow your UnZIPper to
recreate the directory structure in the ZIP (not flatten the structure so that
everything is dumped into one directory). Then locate in the top-level
temporary directory, and run (or click on)
"IBM Object REXX for Windows Runtime Version 2.1.2.0.msi"

When the Rexx installation routine commences, fill in your "customer"
information (your name etc. -- don't worry, it's 100% free and uncrippled).
Click Next. Click on "Custom" installation! ("Custom" install is IMPERATIVE
-- there's a bug in the installation routine, & a "Complete" install forgets a
few things, duh -- IBM is generally so anal, you have to wonder why they didn't
fix this as soon as it was discovered.) Click Next. Click on both the "Socket
and FTP Files" and "OODialog Files" buttons (marked with a red "X"), and
set
*both* of these features to "be installed on local hard drive" (the red X then
disappears). Allow Rexx to install *in the suggested directory* ("\Program
Files\ObjREXX" on your main Windows drive). Then finish the installation, and
shutdown (restart) your computer.

Note too that MSI (the Microsoft Software Installer, or whatever its called)
needs to be on your machine. It should be there by default, but people with
old machines may need to download the latest version.

The ORexx runtime is at:
http://users.rcn.com/will13/XYWBRXRT.ZIP

XyShell is at:
http://holmgren.home.acedsl.com/NEWSHELL.ZIP

Anyone using XyShell should update to this version. Good luck.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx