From: Thomas J Hawley [mailto:tjh@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 8:39 AM
To: xywrite
Subject: Re: windows xp and dos

There's no "real DOS" in Windows 2000 or XP, and that's the case whether
you are in a window or full screen.  When you run a DOS application, you
are running NTVDM.EXE which is the Windows virtual device machine for DOS.
It's basically the same way that OS/2 handles DOS applications, by creating
a "DOS Box" emulator within the operating system.  While OS/2 does it much
more elegantly than Windows, it does work in W2K.

Xywrite 4.018 DOS does work in Windows 2000; I've been using it there (on
both a ThinkPad T21 laptop, and a Dell workstation) since moving from OS/2
at the end of last year.

Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxx