RE: Xywrite for 64 bit Windows 7

I hadn't considered that possibility.  But, there are probably ways to have both:
a (relatively) stock *and* a customized version.  At worst case, in separate Win
installs.  The upgrade notice for NB also says you can have versions 9 & 10 co-
existing side by side, so there may be other ways.  And then, there are a couple
of kits around -- I think VMWare ThinApp Client is probably one of these -- that
can spin off portable versions of a great many apps, which are then untethered
from a Registry and can go just about anywhere, including to thumb drives.  I
haven't engineered any of these transformations as yet myself, but I've become
a big fan of portable apps, and use a number of them that were crafted elsewhere.
(For example, check out
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable ;
and many others available at this site.)  The main penalty running some apps
from a thumb  drive is speed . . . but then you can also find that running under
an emulator like those you mentioned.  When running the portable app from your
desktop, this speed hit is often trivial.  And the fully standalone nature of it makes
having separate versions of the same program quite workable.  They should not
collide or interfere with each other.  (But you may only be able to run one at a time.)

   Jordan