Re: Stopping USB drives from XY4

Harry

I have always kept one backup disconnected from the computer (or in the case of a floppy not in the
drive) so that in the worst case where something horrible attacks my computer, I have at least one
copy it cannot reach. That may be taking security too far but it suits me. For that reason I can't
have both USB drive plugged in at the same time.

Paul

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:51:25 -0500, Harry Binswanger wrote:
Paul wrote:

>Since I normally keep two backups, I have to stop the current USB drive
>every so often (in Windows 2000) so that I can swap them over.

That seems needless. Put the second drive in the second USB port. If you
don't have a second USB port available, spend $30 or less to get a USB hub
(extra ports).

>  This requires switching from XY4, which I normally run full-screen, to
> windows in order to use the system tray "unplug or eject hardware" icon.

Is that really necessary? I use XP, which may be slightly different, but
I'd like to know if there's really any data-loss danger from pulling out
flash drives (after the writing is done).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx