Re: Xy III & Faulty Memory?

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:54:22 -0500 (EST)

> Of course nested
> conditionals are a giant step forward--no help, however,
> to v3 programmers and difficult to follow even in xyW4 code

Huh? Why "no help"? Extremely useful, I would say.

> I did devise procedures
> for v3 xpl pseudo while, do/while, and for loops (documented
> in !xyWise programming notes)

What do you mean, "do/while"? Can you "do" something "while" waiting
for a particular user input, i.e. a keystroke -- amd meanwhile keep on
"doing"? That's what counts. XPL can't manage it.

> Do you remember where MEMWALK came from?

Nope. MEMWALK.COM. The author was Garry J. Vass. His Compuserve address
(in 1985), according to my notebook from that era, was 72307,3311. I don't
have it on any of my current machines, but it might be on my daughter's old
(1990) 486 -- I'll look tomorrow.

> ≪ A compiled or tokenized program would simply make
the jump, near or far, to a pre-compiled location in
memory. XPL does not do that. This is the behavior of
an interpreted language. ≫

> Compiled with BASIC?

No, compiled into machine code! I'm not talking about BASIC or labels;
after code is compiled, all jumps are to relative or absolute memory
locations -- so many bytes forward, so many back. No more labels.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx