Re: We should [NOT] move en masse to Nota Bene (sorry Anne!)

Carl, you asked about memory. In XP Mode, System shows RAM as 512MB.  I tried changing that. It showed 3.5 GB of RAM available but when I raised it to 2048 MB--and then to 756 MB in a second attempt--XP Mode started taking forever to load and being otherwise balky. I think it's best to leave that setting alone.

I can, for what it's worth, play with memory settings in the PIF shortcut properties--max it out
around 16K or put it on Auto or anything in between. I've changed it to the maximum.

Memory management is a mystery to me, so if you have any tips I'd appreciate them.

Also still trying to figure out how to save a file to my XY folder on the Windows 7 host computer,
which to XP mode is shown as a virtually "networked" drive, //tsclient/c, with my XY
folder within it.

With the DOS command SUBST, I've mounted that C:\XY folder as a drive in Windows 7, drive X:, which
XP Mode can see and access. So if I go to the XP desktop and copy my file from virtual C:\xy to X:,
it then shows up in Windows 7. But within XY4, I can't just SAve the file as X:\file, and XY4's DIR
command doesn't show the host computer's drives.

I know this is more a Windows hassle than anything to do with XY4, but if anyone knows how to make
XY communicate with a network without shelling back to the desktop, I'm all ears.

One amusing thing about XP Mode. Microsoft was so lazy about porting its virtual XP that it left in
the Security Center nags about auto update, antivirus, etc. One more thing to shut off.

Jon Pareles