Re: New PostGhost and Xy2PDF frames (+TMPFILE)

** Reply to message from "M.C."  on Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:54:04
+0100

> The new versions require
> standard XyWrite. If I use the ansified version of the program, high
> characters are wrong. I suppose this is that way by design.

Actually, Manuel... I'm trying to think of a reason why the CodePade would
make any difference... and I can't think of one. CodePages are just
differences in glyphs, in appearances. They're cosmetic differences.
Character number 225, for example, may look like a German sharp s (eszet, or
double s) or a Japanese kanji or a math symbol -- but it would still be
character 225.

Now wait... I retract that. Normally that would be true, but in this special
*Postscript* case, yes, there would be some differences, because the PS prolog
in POSTGHST.PRN does map certain character numbers to specific PS entity names.
For example, it maps a thorn to 225. Hmmmm... this needs a deeper look.
When I develpoed Ansified XyWrite, did I provide you with a Postscript driver
(a PRN)? If so, could you ZIP that up and send it to me privately so I can
take a look at it?

Thanks as always, Manuel, for the feedback. Here's my opinion: you may be the
only person running Ansified XyWrite _now_, but in the future... _everybody_
will be running Ansified XyWrite. Because CodePage 437 is ancient history, and
850 is being buried in the same graveyard as we speak. M$ and the Internet
have jointly decided that 1252 (ANSI) is the CodePage du jour for western
European languages. This will not be an easy transition for XyWrite users, and
I suspect that many will be left behind (or will jump ship). But, if they want
to create 1252-compatible documents, they won't have a choice.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx