Re: Flash with Xy

Robert Holmgren wrote:
. . .

> So I dumped the SUBST command (I need predictable, unvarying driveletters for my storage) and went for a programmatic
> XPL approach.

Thanks, Robert. All quite interesting. I look forward to experimenting with this when I get back
and have some time.

> The key principle here is to let Windows assign the driveletter, not humans. Windows doesn't trample on the
> aforementioned semi-reserved driveletters (and you also aren't chewing up *two* driveletters, as with SUBST).

Of course, this presumes one is operating under the Windows platform, which I only am doing perhaps
20 % of the time.
However, I suspect that most of this is going to also be applicable in an OS/2 | eCS situation, one
way or another.

> (There is method to our U2 madness!)

I never doubted it for a nanosecond.

> To handle SETP, you want to create a temporary PRN file

I hate to admit this, but I was still using LOAD or LP -- sheer inertia and an ancient holdover from
Xy3, I guess --
despite much discussion about this here in recent years. (Sorry in advance, 'cause I know that
kinda stuff drives you
crazy.) {I use SETP manually, just haven't plugged it in various other places where it ought to
go.} Call it an early
New Year's resolution, but I'll go back and read up on that, with a view to making some changes.

> When you're all done with this, you ask yourself, well, why not use this system **all the time**? And that's a good
> question. I do. It allows me to ZIP up a XyWrite installation and move it anywhere, to any machine -- and the whole
> thing just works out of the box.

Sounds like there is a good argument to be made for that, so long as it doesn't introduce anything
the unwary might
easily trip over.

> I hope I haven't forgotten anything

Unlikely, I'd say. Will let you know if I run into any problems.

Jordan