Converting files to RTF?

I posed this question a couple years ago and got a few responses/ I
solved the problem, but I can't remember how.

I have more old files from XyWrite II+ I'd like to convert, to a generic
RTF file would be fine. I'm still behind the times, but this computer
uses Windows XP. Should I try out the solution(s) proposed once before,
or should I do something different? I'm not sure what I did, but I may
have followed this initial suggestion.