Re: PostScript substitutions

<< I am trying to print an em-dash, a character which is
available in PostScript. [...] I get \176, which is
apparently Xy4's default for an unknown character. [...]
This happens with some other characters which I treat this
way. [...] Does anyone have an answer as to WHY this is
happening? It obviously isn't serious, since one can work
around it, but it is a nuisance. And I am curious. --Phil Smith
re PostScript substitutions

Phil--TTG must have neglected to include the em-dash and
the other chars in the PostScript driver character encoding.
Correcting the omissions would involve editing the fb<
reencoding procedure and coordinating the octal code
with the sub table--not difficult, but time-consuming and
tedious to the max and you must know what you're doing.
Explaining how is, as they say, beyond the scope of this
list. I borrowed my fb< from another app to make my xyW
installation EPS-receptive, and spent hours if not days
getting the encoding proc and sub table just so.

If the issue is really important to you, take a look at
p A12ff of Ross Smith's "PostScript: a visual approach"
(Peachpit; ISBN 0-938-151-12-6), the best primer I know if
you want to get more out of PS than the support developers
provide. Like all PostScript books I'm aware of, Smith
is about coding PS from scratch, not about dealing with
someone else's implementation of the language. But Smith is
less intimidating than any of the others and what's there
may be enough to get you through the editing. ... Ciao. --a

!xyWise/!xyWiz/!xyWWWiz: new XyW 3 stuff @xxxxxxxxhttp://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/_xypro.html ===============================