RE: A Literary History of Word Processing

Thanks for reminding us of this forthcoming book, Carl. I hope he discusses
the way WP had changed the process of composition. It's fascinating. For
incessant rewriters such as me, it's been both revelation and revolution.
Meanwhile, with WPs on the mind, I'm waiting for NB to finally get out of
Beta before I embrace it.

Michael Norman

Behalf
>Of Carl Distefano
>Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:54 AM
>To: XyWrite Mailing List
>Subject: A Literary History of Word Processing
>

>I clipped this piece from the NY Times when it came out in December, then
forgot
>about it:
>
>http://nyti.ms/rZP4Nl
>
>It features a forthcoming book by Matthew G. Kirschenbaum, a professor of
English at
>the University of Maryland, to be called "Track Changes: A Literary History
of Word
>Processing". From the
>article:
>
>"... literary scholars have become increasingly interested in studying how
the tools of
>writing both shape literature and are reflected in it, whether it's the
quill pen of the
>Romantic poets or the early round typewriter, known as a writing ball, that
Friedrich